U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Top answers from doctors based on your search:

How to do yoga with a bruised rib

A 37-year-old member asked:
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Internal Medicine 18 years experience
Can't tell: Go to the doctor and get an x-ray - that will tell you.
Dr. Robert Purchase
Orthopedic Surgery 24 years experience
Doesn't matter: Both are treated the same way, with activity modification and time. Activity modification means avoiding activities that make it hurt, ie coughing, sn... Read More

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
A 48-year-old member asked:
Family Medicine 39 years experience
X--ray: You need to have an x-ray done to make the diagnosis.
Dr. Benjamin Taylor
Orthopedic Surgery 17 years experience
Hard to tell: If its just one rib, it is hard to tell on exam, and sometimes even xray. A ct scan would tell, but involves radiation and sometimes a high cost.
A 36-year-old member asked:
Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Pulmonary Critical Care 23 years experience
Pain: A bruised rib is mainly painful, especially if you breathe in or if you push on it. A chest or rib xray can tell if the rib is bruised or broken, alth... Read More
A 41-year-old female asked:
Dr. James Wells
Psychiatry 45 years experience
Brace intermittently: A bruised rib could be supported with a brace or other tightfitting garment, but it will be very important to remove the brace about every hour and t... Read More
A 48-year-old member asked:
Dr. Benjamin Taylor
Orthopedic Surgery 17 years experience
Yes you can.: Broken ribs are most commonly the result of blunt trauma. A simple fall can result in a broken rib or two. Most heal on their own without surgery,... Read More
A 24-year-old male asked:
Dr. Donald Colantino
Internal Medicine 62 years experience
?trauma: If you have had trauma to the chest cage the rib or ribs could be fractured or bruised as the symptoms are essentially similar except for the duration... Read More
A 42-year-old member asked:
Dr. Gurpreet Sandhoo
A US doctor answeredLearn more
Imaging studies need: See your doctor for physical exam and x ray. Only x ray or CT exam can confirm if you have a fracture.
A member asked:
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Hello. : Hello. Although nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications like Motrin can sometimes be very helpful, it may not be strong enough for the pain control... Read More
A female asked:
Dr. Amandeep Kaur
Family Medicine 11 years experience
Evaluation: Although a cold pack may help to ease swelling, inflammation and numb the pain but I would recommend you to talk to a physician in detail as the pain ... Read More
A 37-year-old member asked:
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 50 years experience
Need data: You did not provide the actual counts. The count may be your normal value. Uncomplicated bruise of the rib is not expected to raise WBC count.
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership