Top answers from doctors based on your search:
Disclaimer

causes of acute high blood pressure

A 43-year-old male asked:
Dr. Barry Marged
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Not "cause": In reality we do not KNOW the true cause of high blood pressure. We do know many things that will drive it up in a predisposed individual. Considering ... Read More
2
2 thanks
Dr. Heidi Fowler
25 years experience Psychiatry
Increase BP: "Nicotine, found in traditional and electronic cigarettes, has proven to constrict blood vessels, temporarily raise blood pressure and heart rate, and ... Read More

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month
A 52-year-old male asked:
Dr. Christo Wagenaar
Specializes in
HT: Please make an appointment with your GP, he/she will explain to your all causes and give you the right direction to maintain it
A 23-year-old male asked:
Dr. Christopher Nicora
24 years experience Internal Medicine
Essentially unknown: There are some secondary causes of hypertension but for the most part we do not know what causes hypertension.
1
1 thank
Dr. Donald Alves
24 years experience Emergency Medicine
Several causes: Most prominent being genetics. If your family has/had high bp, odds are you will too. Obesity contributes. Added salt can impact some people's bp. Str ... Read More
1
1 comment
3
3 thanks
Dr. Rick Koch
Dr. Rick Koch answered
22 years experience Cardiology
Age: Obesity, genetics, high salt or alcohol intake to name a few.
11
11 thanks
A 76-year-old male asked:
Dr. Nassir Azimi
23 years experience Interventional Cardiology
Stiffening of : The walls of the arteries. Hardening of the arteries, high levels of hormones such as aldosterone or adrenaline, blockages of the kidney arteries lea ... Read More
1
1 thank
A 45-year-old member asked:
Dr. Gutti Rao
Dr. Gutti Rao answered
46 years experience Hospital-based practice
Hardening of arterie: Hardening of arteries, increased vascular tone/ resistance. Causes blood pressure to go up. Other associated feature hypercholesterolemia.
5
5 thanks
A 21-year-old male asked:
Dr. Steven Ajluni
35 years experience Cardiology
Genetics/lifestyle: More than 90% of HTN is essential (primary) in nature. This implies that it occurs on its own. The remaining 5-10% is secondary htn, which means ano ... Read More
2
2 thanks
A 33-year-old member asked:
Dr. Christian Assad
14 years experience Cardiology
Different causes: Many factors contribute to this: Diet. Sodium causes water retention therefore increased BP Age and calcification of vessels, less compliant Stimulan ... Read More
A 32-year-old member asked:
Dr. W. james Chon
25 years experience Nephrology and Dialysis
Not directly: Carbonated beverages have been blamed for many health issues. However, there is no known direct cause and effect relationship between them and high b ... Read More
A 42-year-old member asked:
Dr. Michael Dansie
16 years experience Family Medicine
Many: A better answer is what foods can reverse high blood pressure. This includes the dash diet: fruits: 4-5 servings/day vegetables: 4-5 servings/day w ... Read More
1
1 thank
A 28-year-old female asked:
Dr. Robert Kwok
33 years experience Pediatrics
Maybe, but...: Nobody knows how many different types of pills are in the world. Maybe 100,000 medications or supplements? A pill could raise one's blood pressure, or ... Read More

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month