Is cyclobenzaprine a opiat?

Mike Moore
In brief: No
Cyclobenzaprine is a type of muscle relaxant, and not an opoid medication (narcotic).
Because it can affect the way you feel, some people can become psychologically dependent on it if they take a lot over an extended period of time. But it is not a narcotic or opoid medication.

In brief: No
Mike Moore
Mike Moore
Answer assisted by Mike Moore, Medical Student
2 comments
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Perhaps one might consider the rebound of muscle to a state of tension (if Cyclobenzaprine is stopped suddenly) as withdrawal similar to what occurs when opioids are withdrawn suddenly as well.
Dr. Elizabeth Black
I don't know that I have seen that effect for sure, but the folks who I have treated who used muscle relaxers for so long either had many confounded issues or medications that I wouldn't have known or had disease states like MS that cause spacticity or spasm and where withdrawing the medication would result in significant discomfort
Dr. David Hicks
In brief: Not an Opiate
Cyclobenzaprine is a muscle relaxant used for acute muscle spasms many time secondary to injuries and many time prescibed with opiates for that injury.
Cyclobenzaprine can cause significant confusional states and sleepiness and these effects are confused with opiate effects, but cyclobenzaprine is a safe muscle relaxant but should use with caution with other benzodiazapines or other sedating med.

In brief: Not an Opiate
Dr. David Hicks
Dr. David Hicks
Dr. Elizabeth Black
In brief: Med question
It is a muscle relaxer. Many patients have been on it and it is probably the most commonly prescribed.
I have found it to be very sedating relative to it's effect for most patients and it is not my preferred muscle relaxant. It is not addictive in general, but I have known patients to abuse or overuse muscle relaxers and they can be dangerous especially combined with other sedating chemicals.

In brief: Med question
Dr. Elizabeth Black
Dr. Elizabeth Black
Dr. Luis Villaplana
In brief: No it's mot
Muscle relaxer.

In brief: No it's mot
Muscle relaxer.
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Luis Villaplana