For how long is the copper IUD (paraguard) an effective form of birth control?

10 years. The copper IUD is a very effective method of birth control. After being inserted it remains over 99% effective for ten years. It can be removed at any time and there is no delay getting pregnant after removal. It is one of the most popular methods worldwide.
10 years! The CopperIUD is one of the BEST forms of birth control available. Non-hormonal (no effect on fertility/acne/headaches/nausea/wt gain/bloating/blood clots) and VERY safe (except if you have Wilson's dz/Copper allergy). Only risk is a heavier period and complications w/ insertion (RARE). Immediately effective to prevent pregnancy, but DOES NOT protect against STIs. OK for women who haven't had kids.
10+ years. The para guard is approved for 10 years. Studies suggest that it's effectiveness lasts longer than this.