Why do you still get your period after having a tubal ligation?

Out of the loop. Normal menstruation depends only on 1) a funtioning endometrium, 2) an open cervix, and 3) a hormonal sequence (estrogen then progestin, then progestin withdrawal) from the ovaries in response to timed hypothalamic/pituitary signals. Thus, a woman with a working uterus, endometrium, ovaries, and pituitary can have a period. Notice the fallopian tubes are not part of the loop.
Ovulation. A tubal ligation only blocks your fallopian tubes. Your should still have your periods because your ovaries as well as your uterus continue to function normally after a tubal ligation.