What should I know if I have depression and I want to get pregnant?

Dr. Carla Enriquez
In brief: Current status?
If you are being treated for depression with medication, discuss with prescribing doctor & ob/gyn.
One must weigh benefit v risk to either continue or discontinue medications for depression in a pregnancy. Untreated pregnant women have higher rate of miscarriage, prematurity & postpartum depression. Babies exposed to antidepressants have slight risk of neonatal pulmonary hypertension.

In brief: Current status?
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Jeff Livingston
In brief: Discuss with doctor
Ideally people dealing with depression should have a discussion with their doctor before pregnancy.
In some cases the medication can be stopped. In other cases, the medication should be continued or changed after a discussion regarding the potential complications. Depression is serious and often the known risks of untreated depression far outweigh the low risk of fetal exposure to medication.

In brief: Discuss with doctor
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham