Is there a pill for preventing sundowning?

Dr. Alvin Lin
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Not really

You're probably referring to that state of agitation & behavioral issues that seems to occur cyclically late in the day in patients w/dementia.
Detective work looking for an underlying cause is key along w/redirection. While anti-psychotics are often prescribed in this situation, there is a black box warning against use in demented patients due to an increase risk of death.

In brief: Not really

Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin
2 comments
Dr. Glen Elliott
Although Dr. Lin is right about the risks, antipsychotics often can help markedly with the symptoms described. As often is the case, it's a matter of weight benefits vs. risks.
Dr. Alvin Lin
Thanks, Dr. E. I agree wholeheartedly w/you. It's imperative to weigh risks vs benefits before prescribing. While the black box exists, I have prescribed these drugs many times after a discussion with the family. Communication is key. 400 character limit doesn't help!