U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 34-year-old member asked:

I seem to get consistant yeast infections. i am 34 years old. i also was put on birth control pills to help normalize my periods due to inconsistancy?

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Family Medicine 20 years experience
Yeast: Yeast infections are usually caused by warm, moist environments. Wearing cotton underwear (or none at night) may help. I recommend avoiding douching or any other rinses, as these can change the acidity of the vagina and cause problems. Your doctor may choose to check you for problems with sugar levels, and sometimes a culture of the yeast can be helpful to make sure treatment is adequate.
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics 42 years experience
Dear Yeast,: Yeast normally lives in your vagina along with normal vaginal bacteria like a ecosystem. If you are diabetic, take antibiotics, overweight, douche too much, pregnant, and many other reasons; you have an overgrowth of yeast. Make sure your gyn is diagnosing your yeast infections by testing. Some vaginal infections are bacterial and are similar. Some women have normal discharge which is heavy.
Dr. Cynthia Point
Specializes in Internal Medicine
Could be from the OC: Oral contraceptives can increase the vaginal estrogen and can increase your likelihood of getting a yeast infection. Have you had a culture done? Other things can feel like yeast infection, so having a formal culture done will tell you if it is all yeast or maybe something else.
Last updated Sep 28, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.