U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 18-year-old male asked:

No sexual activity- have small white bumps on shaft and balls...and one larger bump-looking thing, is this a pimple, and what's the best way to treat something like this? could this be ingrown hair or something known as folliculitis?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 50 years experience
It is not feasible to provide a meaningful opinion without additional history, physical examination and may be some tests. The small bumps may just be prominent normal hair follicles. The large one may be due to folliculitis or a epidermal inclusion cyst. If any of the bumps gets larger than a one third of an inch, ulcerates, bleeds, develops discharge it would be prudent to see a doctor.
Dr. Donald Colantino
Internal Medicine 62 years experience
It doesn't appear to be folliculitis according to your description. In the absence of risky sexual activity, I would suggest that these are harmless whiteheads caused by clogging of skin pores. I think you should consult a dermatologist for accurate diagnosis and advice.
Last updated May 20, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.