Whenever i see beautiful women i get depressed because my wife is ugly! doctor gave me medicine for obsessive compulsive disorder is it right?

Are your thoughts : About your wife being ugly part of an obsessive compulsive disorder? Why do you drink so much alcohol if you are on a psychiatric medication? You might also consider cognitive behavioral therapy to help change your attitudes/ thoughts that cause you to suffer.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
41 years experience
Add in CBT: I think looking at your alcohol use would be helpful. There is more here than meets the eye. See a therapist who does cbt, work on alcohol issues, and work on what triggered your attraction to your wife in the first place. Open up to your therapist also if there is a porn addiction lingering in the background. Also, time to see what you bring to the marriage as well, without being dishonest
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Hmmmm . . . : I agree with drs. Fowler & jacobson's responses. I'm wondering if your alcohol use might be blurring your vision in more ways than one. Hopefully you'll bring this up with your doctor, since it's essential info for your ongoing care. The other thing i wonder is: what does your wife see, when she looks at you? People can torment each other in all kinds of ways, but i wish you both good health.
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
The song says: "if you want to be happy for the rest of your like, make and ugly woman your wife." I suggest therapy to find out why you married her in the first place.
Sep 23, 2013
Dr. Emma Rishton
Clinical Psychology 14 years experience
Beauty: Beauty is subjective. Some people get into relationships idealizing the other in their looks, thoughts, habits etc. The reality is that every one of us has moments of ugliness in all those areas. If your wife is not conventionally beautiful (by your standards)she still has beautiful aspects, just as you have beautiful aspects. Your relationship needs help. Best to both of you.

Last updated Oct 27, 2017