Lebanon

Do know your crp! if persistently elevated, it is an indicator of joint damage and potential ashd. please explain what does that mean ?

Pathology 44 years experience
I'd skip it, but...: This sounds like an ad directed at the public for a pricey test that's of little value in ordinary folks. If you have arthritis (and i understand you do and are taking methotrexate), you already know. Lifestyle & medication advice to prevent coronary artery atherosclerosis aren't usually going to be guided primarily by a CRP assay. Spend the money on some good running shoes instead.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Unless one of our colleagues put this on a "TipTap."
Sep 21, 2013
Pathology 44 years experience
Provided original answer
As a lab doctor, I'd skip the lab and go right to the healthy lifestyle.
Sep 21, 2013
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Some people want data before they change their lifestyle. For instance, I had someone the other day ask me why she should be interested in taking magnesium. She had many symptoms related to hypomagnesemia, including leg cramps. Some people want more reasons than "because I said so." Glad you're not that kind. :-)
Sep 21, 2013
Dr. Pamela Pappas
CRP & inflammation: C-reactive protein is an indicator of inflammation in the body, which can lead to joint damage, heart disease, and many other conditions including dementias. You may have seen a tiptap suggesting you know the results of this lab test in your own case. Elevated levels need to be reviewed more carefully by your doctor, since they can be linked to damaging body processes http://tinyurl.Com/7gb72pq.

Last updated Jun 10, 2014