San Francisco, CA

feeling short of breath when climbing stairs?

Dr. Payam Mehranpour
Cardiology 23 years experience
Get evaluated: There are many reasons for shortness of breath with exertion, including cardiac, pulmonary, etc. See your doctor for evaluation.
Dr. Jon Spiers
Thoracic Surgery 31 years experience
It depends...: Shortness of breath can be associated with exercise that is out of the ordinary for us - so if you are sedentary, the exertion of climbing stairs can cause shortness of breath. If you are normally able to do this without being short of breath or discomfort, this is a significant change and you should see your doctor straight away. It could be a sign of cardiac or pulmonary disease.