How long to recover from major bowel obstruction?

Dr. Barry Rosen
General Surgery 35 years experience
It depends on Rx: Depending on the cause and location of the obstruction, this can be managed surgically or conservatively. If surgery was not required, recovery usually is within days once normal diet is tolerated. If surgery was necessary, the recovery may last weeks to get back to baseline, depending on method of surgery and overall health.
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Colon and Rectal Surgery 43 years experience
Depends: It depends on whether it was managed conservatively with bowel rest or required surgery. Also depends on definition of recovery. If you refer to eating regular food and having bm's that can be 1-2 days but may take even longer depending on the degree of obstruction. If surgery was required, full recovery to unlimitted activity is 4-6 weeks.
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics 35 years experience
Depends on treatment: The recovery will depend on tw treatment and the cause and can range for days to months.