what if the yellow jacket stinger is lodged in my skin?

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 57 years experience
Wrong question: Yellow jackets do not leave a stinger. Honey bees do. Probably you have a small scab. Wash it and give it time. If it itches rub it with cortisone cream or a wet Aspirin tablet.
Yellow Jackets: Yellow jackets are the gift that keeps on giving! there is no barb on their smooth stinger – so they can remove it after stinging skin. This allows a yellow jacket (which is a wasp) to sting repeatedly. However, occasionally a stinger becomes stuck ; remains lodged in the skin. It may or may not have been a yellow jacket that stung you.
Provided original answer
Whether or not it was a yellow jacket that stung you- Remove stinger ASAP by scraping along edge of skin w credit card. Clean area w soap & warm water. Apply ice in 10 min. increments (10 on/10 off). Can try Tylenol, aspirin or Motrin for pain. For swelling – elevate affected area. Benadryl helps w swelling /itching. Make paste - 2 parts baking soda & 1 part water & apply. Need tetanus shot
Jan 18, 2014
Provided original answer
every 10 years. Throat, airway, mouth swelling or difficulty breathing? Call 911!
Jan 18, 2014