can a pap smear detect pid?

Dr. Sewa Legha
Medical Oncology 50 years experience
No: Its purpose is to detect cancer cells(cytological examination).

is it true that there are new tests to replace the pap smear?

Dr. William Dailey
Alternative to Pap: I am am unaware of any test that is a true alternative to the pap test at this time. New tests are being explored and studied all of the time though so keep both eyes open because the only thig that is for sure is that everything changes.

How do I read my pap smear results so that I can understand them?

Dr. James Carleo
Consult your doctor: If the pap test is negative, then that means "normal". If your results use any of the following terminology...Atypical, low grade, high grade, hpv...Then consult your physician for a more detailed explanation.

My pap test was "abnormal, " what happens now?

Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Specializes in Family Medicine
Colposcopy: It depends on the type of abnormality. Sometimes the course is to wait and repeat the pap in 3 or 6 months. If the abnormality is serious, you may have a colposcopy- which involves the doctor looking at the cervix with a magnifier and taking biopsies of any abnormal areas.

My pap test result was a "false positive." what does this mean?

Dr. John Armstrong
See below: I would need to see your full pap report, your pap history, prior treatments if any and hpv status to comment.

How long will it take for a doctor to notify you about a pap smear?

Dr. Helen Gray
Depends: It will depend on the turn around time at the lab where your specimen was sent as well as turn around time for your doctor to see the results. Most times the result will be to the office within a week. Check with your office to see of they tell you the results regardless or only if there is an abnormal result.