does three times a day antibiotics mean after 6 hrs?

Dr. Joel Gallant
Infectious Disease 36 years experience
8 hours: 24 divided by 3 is 8. But if it says three times a day, the timing doesn't usually have to be exact.

Is it ok to take just one antibiotic a day?

Dr. Holly Barth
Dr. Holly Barth answered
General Practice 9 years experience
Full Amount: It is best to take your antibiotics exactly as your physician prescribes. So take the full amount a day, and for the full length of time. If you miss a dose, try to take it as soon as you remember without taking multiple doses at one time. And it is important that even if you're feeling better after a few days-still take the full prescription to make sure you're rid of the infection.

Is it bad to take one antibiotic after another with a two day gap?

Dr. Paul Williams
Antibiotics: I guess my question is why? Was the first one ineffective? If so - if then no - if the symptoms returned - ie partially treated infection - if its a second round of the first antibiotic - thats not good. But if its being done because the cultures show that the first antibiotic wasn't effective or clinically it wasn't effective there should be no harm - you might have GI upset though.

I have been sick for 8 days and on my second antibiotic and still sick..Is there anything i can do?

Dr. Ajay Acharya
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Yes: Have a CBC done. That will indicate the nature of your infection. The matching ant and synchronised antihistamine/ mucolytic agent / hydration will help. Assuming you have a urti, which is going around.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Why are antibiotics doses spred out throughout the day why can't it be taken all once?

Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Endodontics 44 years experience
Blood levels: Taking antibiotics all at once will spike the blood level and then be metabolized and excreted. Taking them over a period of time keeps the blood level constant, allowing the drug to get to the affected area constantly so infection can be eliminated.
Woodland Hills, CA

If it says to take a certain antibiotic 3 times a day, does that mean i can take it at 9am, 3pm and 9pm? Or do I have to take it in middle of night?

Dr. John Munshower
9/3/9 ok: Three times a day is ok as you have it. "every 8 hours" might require you to get up at night.

Last updated Jul 31, 2016