can thyroid cancer spread to the brain?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Jefferson Chen
33 years experience Neurosurgery
Yes: Thyroid cancer has been found to metastasize to the brain. Prognosis is guarded; however, recent studies have demonstrated that resection of solitary lesions with subsequent radiation therapy to the brain prolongs survival.
Answered on Sep 14, 2013
Dr. John Yim
Dr. John Yim answered
28 years experience Surgical Oncology
Yes.: However, it is extremely rare that it does this. To give you an example I have been involved in the care of over a 1000 patients with thyroid cancer and have never seen this.
Answered on Oct 27, 2016
Dr. Stephanie Lee
40 years experience Endocrinology
Thyroid cancer: It is extremely rare for thyroid cancer to spread to the brain. If it occurs, it usually has spread to other places in the boxt
Answered on Jul 7, 2019