Pompano Beach, FL

i was wondering if chai tea is okay to drink while pregnant? i'm 21 weeks.

Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Pulmonary Critical Care 36 years experience
No problem?: It is widely used in india. There would be a warning label if there is an issue. Personally, I do not think there is a problem. What are you worried about?
Dr. Andrea Moore
Yes: It is ok to drink different variations of tea as long as this is done in moderation. It is recommended that the majority of your fluid intake should be water during pregnancy. Water helps maintain the increase in blood volume as well as help prevent bladder infections and preterm labor. Try to monitor your caffeine and sugary drinks, as these can contribute to infections and gestational diabetes.
Dr. Marsha Davis
Yes: That tea is safe to drink when pregnant.
Dr. Robert Kent
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 12 years experience
In moderation: You can have maybe a cup, but chai tea is usually a black tea, which has fairly high amounts of caffeine, usually around 40-60 percent that of coffee, and some blends may be stronger. To keep your pregnancy as safe as possible, keep to minimum and avoid other sources of caffeine. Over about 200mcg of caffeine a day about doubles your chance of miscarriage. Hope that answer helps! congrats too!