Why is the back of my tongue dry when i wake up?

5 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. SHERYL POMERANCE answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

Tongue dryness: If the nasal airway is blocked(inflammation of the tissue covering the turbinates(caves inside the nose), enlarged adenoids, tonsils, we are forced to breathe through the mouth. This will dry the tongue as well. There may also be a thick coating on the tongue that can be brushed off.

Answered 9/10/2015

4.9k views

Dr. James Merrett answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Dry tongue: The back of your tongue is dry when you wake most likely is that you are a mouth breather when sleeping. Many people sleep on their back, this can cause a person to mouth breathe when sleeping. Mouth breathing will cause a dry tongue.

Answered 6/11/2017

4.9k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

A dry tongue : can be caused by a number of things, including dehydration, medications and various other medical conditions and diseases. I can appreciate your concerned about your health, but finding a proper diagnosis and treatment may be the answer to your worries. Rec.: see your dentist for examination, diagnosis or referral to oarl medicine specialist.

Answered 3/8/2017

4.1k views