U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 23-year-old female asked about a male:

My son was born with a skin tag on his hand located under pinky should i have this removed or leave it be it doesn't bother him now at six months?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Matthew Stanwix
18 years experience
Seek plastic surgeon: Children born with a growth around their pinky may have an 'extra' digit. There are many forms of extra digits from full fingers to just a little bit of skin. It may be a different lesion not related. Nonetheless, you should seek a plastic surgeon, because if it is an extra digit then it will require surgery to take it off (it may have bone, cartilage or nerves in it).
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Curtis Wong
Plastic Surgery 35 years experience
Skin tags on hands: They can appear concerning but they aren't. The size of the stalk determines how i would consider removing it. See your local doctor for a referral or advice on what to do as it should be a simple procedure, assuming its not an extra digit.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Sep 5, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.