United Kingdom (Great Britain)

my four weeks old son breastfeeds almost all the time and if i takr him off the breast he cries, is this normal?

Dr. Wayne Ingram
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Yes: Mother-infant bonding is almost always a good thing unless taken to the extreme. Not every cry from a newborn infant requires the breast to be used as a 'pacifier'. Some cries are for reasons such as 'wet diaper' or 'just hold me'. Every mother usually figures out which cry requires attention and which does not. Try spacing your breast feeding periods and if unsuccessful call the la leche league.
Dr. Sarosh Batlivala
Pediatric Cardiology 16 years experience
Probably Not: First, ensure that the baby is drinking enough. Children will often use the breast as a pacifier. This can lead to unhealthy attachments/issues with breastfeeding. I recommend breastfeeding for 15 min per breast (at most) to ensure enough nutrition. The first few days may be difficult, but i strongly recommend you break the habit as it will only worsen. Consider seeing a lactation consultant.
No, you create it: The breast can be a source of nutrition & nurturing. If you shove it in baby's mouth for every cry it becomes a pacifier/nurturer with nutrition secondary.I would get a sling to carry baby close but only let him latch for 10 min/side every 3 hours.That empties the breast fully & should provide milk enough to keep him well hydrated/growing/wetting diapers every 4-6 hours. He'll adapt. Buy pacifier

Last updated Aug 6, 2017