U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
New Zealand
A 44-year-old female asked:

If a cystoscopy clear, can you still have a fistula. have spc and ileostomy, no large colon. constant uti's. nerve damage to bladder.

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. J Roberts
Vascular Surgery 29 years experience
Unlikely: Neurogenic bladder poses one to chronic uti. The angle of the urethra also plays a role. Pyridium (phenazopyridine) may be necessary to preclude further risks of UTI and pyleonephritis. Further, colonoscopy or barium enema and ct abdomen/pelvis w/ both oral & IV contrast will provide more information regarding a potential fistula.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Kevin O'neil
Urogynecology 30 years experience
I agree that a fisutula is unlikely. Patients with neurogenic bladder may benefit from learning clean intermittent catheterization to help keep the bladder empty. But if you or your doctor are concerned about a possible fistula you can do an in office test where you are given pyridium by mouth and the bladder is filled with methylene blue dye. You then wear a tampon for about 30 minutes and the the tampon is then examined. If it is unchanged, then a urinary fistula is excluded. If it is blue, this suggests a bladder fistula. If orange, then a ureteral fistula.
Sep 2, 2013
Dr. Addagada Rao
General Surgery 58 years experience
May not see: Bowel to bladder fistulas enterovesicular may not be seen by cystoscopy , other means have to be used , like contest ct s , performing fistulogram through distended bladder ( due to spc may not be possible ) type of bugs grown , etc speak to your doctor.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Mar 15, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.