Dallas, TX

Need advice for communicating with doc who calls me "honey" and tells me not to worry when i ask direct ? or for records. rather fix than change docs.

Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 29 years experience
Talking to Doctors: Prepare for your meeting with the doctor. Take notes. Express your confidence in their skills but that you have a concern. It is very healthy to set boundaries and to express your worries and concerns. This may actually bring you closer and leave you feeling better for advocating for yourself.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Devon Webster
Medical Oncology 23 years experience
Talk to him: It's hard to change a person. Your doctor may be used to older patients who feel reassured by this approach, which is paternalistic. Since you'd like to try, you might say 1. Please don't call me honey; it makes me feel disregarded 2.Please talk to me like a partner in my healthcare. I want to understand what you're thinking, and help make decisions about my treatment. Good luck!
Last updated Feb 7, 2015