can i use neosporin cream (neomycin and polymyxin b) for stitches?

4 doctor answers
Dr. Daniel Careaga
17 years experience Plastic Surgery
No problem: Depending on where the laceration is... Keep neosporin out of the eyes and mucous membranes.
Answered on May 18, 2016
1
Dr. Martin Tyson
26 years experience Addiction Medicine
Can do: Depends really on what the injury/procedure and dressing placed initially. Assuming it was a simple cut that was sutured, sure, neosporin will be fine. Sometimes more elaborate dressings are used containing silver etc, so wouldn't be necessary then.
Answered on May 10, 2016
2
Dr. Barry Cohen
33 years experience Plastic Surgery
Not a fan: 15% of population has a skin rash to neomycin, one of the 3 antibiotics in neosporin. I prefer Bacitracin or polymixin.
Answered on May 10, 2016
1
Dr. Robert Dorsey
35 years experience Wound care
Is ok: I generally use a silver dressing.
Answered on Mar 1, 2018