How long does it take for a broken bone in my hand to heal?

Dr. Craig Miller
26 years experience
4-6 weeks: 4-6 weeks until use for activities of daily living without cast or brace. Up to 12 weeks until contact sports or heavy weight bearing or labor allowed.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 36 years experience
Broken hand bones: For simple uncomplicated fractures in fingers or the metacarpals ( long bones) take 6-8 weeks to heal, however some wrist bones such as the scaphoid and others may take longer as the blood supply in these is not as straightforward. Open fractures and higher energy injuries may take longer. The quality of the soft tisse and nerve supply and circulation in an injury zone may lengthen healing times.