U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 43-year-old member asked:

Is anemia curable by taking extra oral vitamins like folate (folic acid)? is b12 available orally or only by shots? already taking iron.

1 doctor answer6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Hematology and Oncology 24 years experience
Depends on the cause: Treatment of anemia has to be directed to the cause of anemia. Iron replacement for iron deficiency, folate for folate deficiency, vit B12 replacement for vit B12 deficiency etc. Vit B12 can come as oral trablet, intramuscular injection, nasal spray. I suggest you to see your doctor to find out the cause of the anemia. You need to see hematologist for more complex case.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 3, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.