MD

What does light brown stool mean? what can i add to my diet to make it darker? thanks.

Dr. Oscar Novick
Light stool: Light stool can be brought about byexcess dairy in the diet. Darker stool is more prevalent with when meet is eaten. Normal stool color may range from a light tan to a dark brown. We get concerned when stool is black or possibly clay colored or blood tinged.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Normal varient: The stool color is provided by the bile from the liver that is added to fecal debris.It starts out a deep green & slowly changes thru greens to yellows to browns as the germs in the intestines metabolize the bile. Lighter brown generally means the stool in question moved through faster or was subject to less change by gut germs.