U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 21-year-old member asked:

Who treats spinal stenosis?

4 doctor answers15 doctors weighed in
Dr. Roger Frankel
Neurosurgery 30 years experience
Spine surgeon: Whether or not you need surgery, an experienced neurosurgeon or orthopedic spine surgeon is the best resource to educate you in the treatment options available.
Dr. Estrada Bernard
Neurosurgery 39 years experience
Ultimately if other approaches fail surgery may be indicated for quality of life . The surgery options may range from a minimally invasive decompression to decompression with fusion depending on the nature of the pain and whether there may be instability .
Feb 8, 2015
Dr. Myles Greenberg
Emergency Medicine 29 years experience
Pain physicians also: In addition to dr. Frankel's answer, also consider talking to an interventional pain/spine physician. They have other minimally invasive options to treat spinal stenosis, such as the mild procedure.
Dr. Yash Khanna
Family Medicine 58 years experience
PT,PainMD,SpineSurge: Treatment of Spinal Stenosis consists of Physical Therapy,Pain Management and Spine Surgery.Depending on the severity of the condition 1Physical Therapist 2Pain Management includes Pain Meds and Epidural Injections 3Spine Surgeone in those severe cases not respnding to PT and Pain Management
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 30 years experience
Primary care: Initially, usually primary care and chiropractors. If it worsens, then orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons, and interventional pain doctors can get involved.

Similar questions

A member asked:

What is spinal stenosis

10 doctor answers12 doctors weighed in
Dr. Myles Greenberg
Emergency Medicine 29 years experience
Spinal narrowing: Spinal stenosis is a narrowing of the spinal canal (which contains the spinal cord and nerves) caused by enlargement of the surrounding ligaments and bones. This enlargement creates pressure on the nerves and/or spinal cord and their blood supply resulting usually in back and/or leg pain, especially when the patient is walking upright. The condition usually occurs in older people.
Dr. Myles Greenberg
Emergency Medicine 29 years experience
Provided original answer
For a new, less invasive procedure (the MILD procedure) for certain patients with spinal stenosis check out this website: http://www.mildprocedure.com
Feb 3, 2012
Dr. Bikash Bose
Dr. Bikash Bose commented
Neurosurgery 46 years experience
Disc encroaching into the spinal canal can also cause spinal stenosis in addition to ligament and bony overgrowth.
May 28, 2014
Last updated Aug 17, 2020

People also asked

Related topics

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.