What could a small black and purple spot just above my pinky toe nail be? it appeared about 2 months ago and is not raised on the skin.

5 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Need examination : See your podiatrist od dermatologist for diagnosis. It could be a number of things and may need a small biopsy to tell for sure.

Answered 1/6/2019

4.9k views

See a podiatrist: There are many things a black to purple spot can be. It could be a bruise, blood blister, a mole, or some other skin lesion. I would recommend seeing a podiatrist or dermatologist. Either should be able to examine and make a determination as to whether the lesion should be biopsied, removed, or left alone.Ole.

Answered 1/6/2019

4.9k views

Dr. Richard Greenwald answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Toe Lesion: "…small black and purple spot above nail of toe," could suggest trauma, accumulation of blood, or something serious. The variegation of color—suggested by your question—raises an index of suspicion. Without a pic, or description of changes of the lesion it would be wise to have a doc look at it. Two months of curiosity of a suspicious skin lesion & concerns warrant further evaluation. See your doc

Answered 1/7/2019

230 views