A member asked:

What is gastritis? how do you prevent gastritis? what causes it? does it go away ever? would you need "general surgery"?

10 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Alexander Barkan answered

Specializes in General Surgery

Gastritis: Can be due to bacteria ( h. Pylori) that causes ulcers. Can be due anatomical defect in diaphragm ( hiatal hernia) that surgey can fix. Can be due to meds ( like motrin) stop the the meds . And also bile reflux that may be helped with surgery. Tumors of an endocrine nature also can cause it

Answered 12/18/2014


Dr. Ly Phan answered

Specializes in General Surgery

Hmmmm: An inflammation or irritation of your stomach lining. Could be from food, medicine, infection, or over secretion of acid by your body. It will heal with appropriate therapy but it could alway flare back up.

Answered 6/27/2015


Dr. Peter Than answered

Specializes in Surgery

Stomach inflammation: Gastritis is inflammation of the stomach. It can be caused by acid overproduction, infection, and in rare cases malignancy. It can usually be treated with an acid reducing medication. While there are some surgical procedures, medical therapy is first line and is usually successful.

Answered 10/23/2015


Dr. Jeffrey Clemens answered

Specializes in General Surgery

Inflammation: Gastritis is inflammation of the lining of the stomach, commonly due to drugs, e.g. aspirin, infection (Helicobacter), or acid induced. Gastritis is certainly reversible if the underlying cause is addressed. Surgery is reserved for only severe complications such as perforation or bleeding, and is not commonly needed.

Answered 4/10/2018



Related Questions

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question

Meet your new favorite doctor