I am almost 50 years old. i drink 2 glasses of water beforedinner and 1 glass of water before sleeping. during night, i get up 3 to 4 times to pass urine. is it normal?

Dr. Shariq Refai
Dont dink so much: Being hydrated is great and its good you drink water. You should drink about 8 glasses of water a day. However if you are waking up in the middle of the night to urinate then you need to limit your intake of water previous to bed time. Try not to drink water 2 hours before bed time or if you do limit it. The closer to bedtime you drink fluids youll likely have to get up in the middle to urinate.
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik commented
Surgery - Plastics 35 years experience
You may need a prostate examination
Aug 9, 2013
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Nightly urination: I agree with my colleague about the timing of your drinking water. But getting up that many times a night to pee (rather than just once) makes me wonder if you need your prostate checked for enlargement. Is the increased urination is also going on in the daytime? Please check with your doctor on this -- and if leaving off the pre-bedtime glass of water helps, great.
Dr. Ihab Ibrahim
Pain Management 30 years experience
Consider not drinking anything 2-3 hours before sleeping, and emptying your bladder before going to sleep.
Aug 8, 2013
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Provided original answer
Good plan -- and yet I'm still concerned that his prostate needs examination.
Aug 11, 2013
Dr. Randy Nolf
Periodontics 43 years experience
Thirsty?: If the water consumption is due to thirst you would be well advised to have a screening for diabetes.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Alianswered
Water too much?: I agree with my colleagues, but please do have checkup for diabetes & prostate problems, to be on the safe side.
Dr. James Lin
Urology 52 years experience
Here are some...: Yes, it could be normal for you if the voided urine volume from each voiding at night or in daytime is similar or more, but still with steady good flow and an emptying bladder. Facts to know: As we age, the ability of kidney urine excretion and bladder holding urine does change and evolve as reflecting in how we void. More? Seek evaluation & counseling preferably by urologist being 3-dimensional.
Last updated Nov 16, 2020