do you count the first day of your last period as the starting day of your pregnancy ?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Jane Van Dis
17 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
No: The way we date pregnancies is a little confusing. The first day of a pregnancy is dated based on your last menstrual period because women typically don't know when they ovulate (and conceive) but the do know when their last period was. So really, embryos are 2 weeks younger than the assigned age we give them. Thus, when a woman misses her period, we say she's 4 weeks pregnant, when really...
Answered on Aug 7, 2013
1
1
Dr. Jane Van Dis
Provided original answer
she's only 2 weeks pregnant. I know, I know, it's a little silly. So in a way, to answer your question, the pregnant does 'start' on the first day of her last menstrual period, but that, of course, is not the true start date of your pregnancy (conception is). It's a naming thing. Hope I haven't added to your confusion!
Aug 7, 2013
Dr. Jeff Livingston
21 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
Yes : That is correct.
Answered on Dec 21, 2013
1