India
A 44-year-old male asked about a 44-year-old male:

I am 44 years old. i lost 13 kg weight with hard exercise in gym in 6 months. can it be the reason of my recent cad later angioplasty with stent.

Dr. Ew Baldwin
Cardiology 20 years experience
Keep exercising: Moderate exercise doesn't cause coronary artery disease. It's possible that as you started exercising harder, you started having symptoms that led to the discovery of coronary artery disease. It's interesting, though, that long-distance endurance athletes, such as marathoners, might have more coronary disease, but that probably takes years of intense training and chronic stress on the body.
Dr. Creighton Wright
General Surgery 56 years experience
Not likely: The effort may have called your attention to the evolving problem. Non smoking, exercize and weight control are generally positive moves.
Dr. Bennett Werner
Cardiology 44 years experience
I agree with Dr. Wright - don't shoot the messenger (exercise), and don't confuse the treatment with the disease. In fact, exercise may have called your attention to latent symptoms and saved your life.
Aug 7, 2013

Last updated Aug 12, 2013