I get hives with any cold/pain relievers. Delsym (dextromethorphan) landed me in the ER twice for severe hives. Is there a pain reliever that won't do this to me?

Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin answered
29 years experience in Geriatrics
Maybe (not) . . .: You'll need to do a bit of detective work. Find the ingredient label for any cold & pain relievers that you've tried & reacted to including delsym (dextromethorphan). Look for common ingredients that could explain your allergy. It may be a coloring or flavoring agent. Consult an allergist for specific information. Get as much specific info & details as possible before going to see doc. For instance, what pain reliev.
Answered on Aug 1, 2013