U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 49-year-old member asked:

I was sexually abused as a child and now i don't know how to handle it, what do i do?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Holly Maes
Pediatrics 36 years experience
Thanks for asking: It must be very hard to reach out after suffering for many years. I have (and am) in your shoes. That trauma is never forgotten, but you can learn to go on despite and in spite of what you lived through - I have that personal experience. It takes therapy, though, to have someone skilled in this type of abuse to help you put it in your rearview mirror, instead of staring at you head on. Seek a pro!

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 41-year-old member asked:

Who can I call/talk to if i know i was sexually abused as a child?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robin Larabee
Pediatrics 26 years experience
Therapist: Child sexual abuse can cause lifelong symptoms for you. These are serious wounds that cause serious problems. The sooner someone can help you with your wounds and fears, the better you will be. Look for a therapist who specializes in adult survivors of child abuse/child sex abuse. Good luck and take care of yourself!
A 33-year-old member asked:

How to know if I have been sexually abused as a child?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Maya Haasz
Pediatrics 15 years experience
Sexual abuse: At this point, there will be no physical signs. I suggest you speak to a therapist about why you are suspecting abuse and explore the memories you have of childhood. Best of luck to you.
A 43-year-old member asked:

I need some help to know if i've probably been sexually abused as a child?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Cheryl Coldwater
Pediatrics 38 years experience
Hard to tell: We can't possibly know for sure. If you have concerns, feelings that might be related to possible abuse, see a good therapist to work on this. You can't change what's happened in the past, but you can change how you feel about it now, and how you respond in the future.
A 33-year-old member asked:

What to do if i was sexually abused for years as a child, now i need help/advice on how to deal with it?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jason Berman
A Verified Doctoranswered
undefined 14 years experience
Some places to look: Hi, thanks for your question. I am glad you are open to finding help with the trauma that you have experienced as a child. I recommend finding a psychologist or therapist that you trust and who specializes in the treatment of sexual trauma. You can look for resources here: http://www.Rainn.Org/get-help you can also find a psychologist close to you here: locator.Apa.Org hang in there and be well, .
A 40-year-old member asked:

What are the effects of having been sexually abused as a child?

2 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Satinder Aggarwal
Internal Medicine 49 years experience
Many: Anxiety , depression, angerat abuser, ptsd, sometimes continuing the sexual abuse to next vulnerable group.

Related questions

A 31-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
A 43-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 44-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
A 25-year-old member asked:
4 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Last updated Dec 10, 2013
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.