U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 39-year-old member asked:

Can a school nurse help treat clotting disorders?

4 doctor answers13 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology 45 years experience
No: If you mean one of the disorders that keeps blood from clotting, that's serious stuff. See your doctor, who may send you to a hematologist.
Dr. David Masiello
Hematology and Oncology 19 years experience
No: Clotting disorders are complex problems with many potential traps, see a hematologist.
Dr. Ed Friedlander
Pathology 45 years experience
Yes: I'll bet you are talking about a child of yours who has a known bleeding / clotting disorder, is being treated successfully at home, and who is ready to start school. Generally, the parents know plenty about what to look for, how to treat, and when to get physician assistance. The physician, parents, and nurse can work together to prepare for what junior may need at school.
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 50 years experience
Depend on defect: Is the clotting disorder, excessive clot formation or bleeding due to clotting deficiency. In either case, a disorder of the clotting system in a child is a serious matter that should be evaluated and treated by a specialist. School nurse may assist in ensuring proper and timely administration of the treatment.

Similar questions

A 32-year-old member asked:

Are there things I can do myself to treat clotting disorders?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ed Friedlander
Pathology 45 years experience
Maybe: There are a huge variety of clotting disorders, with the blood clotting too easily or not easily enough. For the first, most important is to avoid sitting for a long time without moving your legs, as on long airplane flights. For the latter, choosing sports that are safe for your handicap. For both, you will need accurate diagnosis, education, and rx that only a specialist physician can offer.

Related questions

A 39-year-old member asked:
Why do patients with liver disorders have clotting problems?
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 31-year-old member asked:
Are there different options for treating clotting disorders?
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 33-year-old male asked:
What is the definition or description of: Clotting disorders?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 33-year-old member asked:
What sort of disease is a clotting disorder?
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 37-year-old member asked:
How do you check if you have a clotting disorder in the family?
1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Last updated Apr 18, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.