My doctor talked over my head. we are confused. what is bacterial vaginosis?

Dr. Denise Elser
Specializes in Gynecology
Imbalance: All healthy women have a mix of bacteria & some yeast in the vagina. An imbalance in the vagina, such as change in ph, blood flow, amount of bacteria (these things can be caused by stress, change in hormones, antibiotic use, change in weather, diet, or new sexual partner), then too much of 1 type of bacteria known as "gardnerella" grows. This can cause odor and discharge. It is not an std.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Miguel Cano
BV: Simply put, an overgrowth of the normal vaginal bacteria. It is not dangerous, easy to treat, and symptoms are usually vag discharge, itching, and odor. If pregnant, treatment is needed because it can lead to early delivery or early rupture of amniotic membranes. Flagyl is a good treatment in pills or vaginal cream. (pills if you're pregnant). Sorry about your doc.
Last updated Sep 22, 2016