I just called my eye doctor and she said i have astigmatism and something about only with my glasses, and not contacts? what does this mean?

Dr. Howard Pomeranz
Ophthalmology 29 years experience
Astigmatisn: If you have a very small amount of astigmatism, you can wear soft contact lenses that do not have astigmatism correction and still see very well with them.
Dr. Tod Haller
Ophthalmology 17 years experience
Glasses vs contacts: Astigmatism is treated with glasses as well as contacts. However, by the act of putting on contacts, some of the astigmatism is already treated because the contact lens changes the shape of the cornea. For a small amount if astigmatism, that is enough so you don't need special (toric) astigmatism contact lenses. Larger astigmatism needs the extra astigmatism boost. So you must have a little astigm.
Last updated Aug 6, 2013