does the dermapen skin care procedure really work for scars and stretch marks? how many procedures does it take to see results?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Donald Sudy
26 years experience Aesthetic Medicine
Perhaps: While i don't have personal experience, there is evidence that mild "dermal wounding" such as is achieved with the dermapen products can stimulate a mild amount of collagen production. It does take several treatments and the change is likely minimal. Also, as the skin continues to age, the change is not permanent.
Answered on Jan 15, 2015
1
1
Dr. Alexander Blinski
I have had great results with microneedle treatment for scars. Depending on the type of scar. The scar resolution can be permanent in my opinion. Multiple treatments are needed and results do take a long time (Typically 2.5-6months after your last treatment). I do not anticipate removing scars, just improving them by 30-70%
Jan 15, 2015
Dr. Alexander Blinski
Collagen Induction: Dermapen and similar automated microneedling devices are a new and very safe way to help with your issues. They do work to a point. I do not believe they are as effective as lase (although they are marketed that way). I tell my patients that 40% reduction in scar/stretch marks can be expected with 5 treatments over a 5-8 month period. Very safe and reasonable, most docs will even throw in a facial
Answered on Aug 16, 2014
1
Dr. Kevin Carr
Yes...: Stretch marks are a form of scarring. When the skin stretches, the dermis tears and becomes discolored. Dermapen is able to reduce the appearance of stretch marks through collagen induction with tiny micro needles stamping into the epidermis and dermis to stimulate collagen production which repairs the damaged cells and grows healthier appearing skin. 3-5 treatments are optimal for stretch marks.
Answered on Feb 20, 2015