U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 40-year-old member asked:

What do you recommend for patellar dislocation?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A Verified Doctoranswered
29 years experience
Patellar dislocation: Is alway laterally (to the outside of knee). It tends to reocurr. Make the inside muscles of front of thigh stronger by bending knee slightly and lifting it across other knee (like when you cross legs when sitting down). Do repetitions if 5-10 throughout the day. This will keep patella align in the middle so it does not dislocate laterally.
Dr. Raj Sinha
Orthopedic Reconstructive Surgery 33 years experience
Physical therapy: For a first time dislocation, physical therapy will likely resolve the issue. If the dislocation keeps on happening, then a surgical procedure may be needed, either a ligament reconstruction/retinacular release or an osteotomy to medialize the tibial tubercle (bone where the patella tendon attaches) ; or in some cases both.

Related questions

A 45-year-old member asked:
Does anyone know, after finishing growing/adolescence, will i stop having patellar dislocations?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 35-year-old member asked:
Is patellar dislocation curable?
2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 19-year-old female asked:
Is patellar dislocation completely curable?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 33-year-old member asked:
How would you know if you had a patella dislocation?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 48-year-old member asked:
Should I keep running if I have patellar dislocation?
3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Last updated Aug 3, 2018
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.