MI

what does shortness of breath feel like?

Dr. Peter Ihle
Orthopedic Surgery 54 years experience
Hold Ur breath and C: The feeling u get towards the end is what it's like. This is the feeling people who have COPD have every day. Or like gasping 4 breath after u run a long distance, & u r unable to catch ur breath. This is not a good feeling 2 have all day long.
Dr. Alvin Lin
Geriatrics 30 years experience
Elephant on chest: To paraphrase supreme court potter stewart, you'll know it when you feel it. Some people describe shortness of breath as not being able to inhale deep (or deeply enough). Others describe it as if an elephant were sitting on their chest so they couldn't breathe, like someone squeezing you too tightly. You may or may not wheeze when short of breath. Go see your family doc for pulmonary function test.