U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 37-year-old female asked about a 58-year-old female:

Having your heart shocked to correct irregular heartbeat?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Luis Bendezu
Internal Medicine 30 years experience
What's your question: Yes, in certain conditions sometimes the heart can be shocked (called cardioversion) to return it to its normal rhythm. This is typically done by a cardiologist.
Last updated Feb 8, 2014
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.