A 43-year-old member asked:

Could you tell me what happens when you go to an allergist?

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Silge
Allergy and Immunology 18 years experience
Usually skin tests: It depends why you are going of course, but typically we will do testing to see what you are allergic to. The nature of that will vary depending on if you're allergic to medications, insects, pollen, etc. Scratch tests are most common, and involve a small amount of liquid extract on an applicator which then scratches the skin. Does not draw blood, and can itch but not really hurt.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 46-year-old member asked:
Is it okay that stop consuming almonds, then. Could an allergist help me with this?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 23-year-old female asked:
When should someone see an allergist?
3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 45-year-old female asked:
Looking for an allergist in Johannesburg?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated May 4, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.