U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 29-year-old member asked:

Should i see a specialist for gestational diabetes, or can my regular doctor take care of it?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Harris Cohen
Family Medicine 22 years experience
Gestational DM: This should be managed with your obstetrician, sometimes in conjunction with a maternal-fetal medicine subspecialist.
Dr. David Bergman
Maternal-Fetal Medicine 38 years experience
Gestational diabetes: Depends. Some md's are capable of handling gdm. Others look for a perinatologist to manage these patients. Certainly a md who has a large volume of patients may be better equiped to handle this kind of patient. Perinatologists are specially trained for high risk issues and can co manage your gdm with your ob. Just ask your OB if he/she is comfortable doing this or find a local perinatologist.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 35-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 45-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 25-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Last updated Jun 10, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.