I got my period today, if i start taking my pill at anytime during it, will it stop my period? going on a trip and really don't want it!

Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Gynecology 40 years experience
Will not stop it: You can start on the first day but unfortunately it will not stop the bleeding. It may slow it down or shorten the duration.
Dr. Leo Eschbach jr
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Birth control: Yes you can restart taking your birth control and not take the hormone free interval . Sometimes the longer you do that however can cause some irregular bleeding if that happens stop the pill for a week then restart.
Dr. Stephen Richards
It will not stop this current period right away, but taking continuously will stop the next one.
Mar 30, 2014
Dr. Mary David
No: Once your period has started, it is too late to stop it. You can use your pills to schedule periods but you must plan further ahead.
Dr. Corey Bosin
OCP AND PERIODS: Although starting an oral contraceptive may decrease the flow and duration of your current period, it is difficult to predict any future scheduled or un scheduled bleeding. One of the most common side effects of ocps is irregular unscheduled bleeding. Therefore, you may or may not go et unwanted irregular bleeding.
Dr. Mary David
Dr. Mary David commented
By the time your period has started,it's really too late to stop it and you can do some irregular bleeding if you take the pills off schedule.
Apr 29, 2014
Dr. Dale Kristle
Gynecology 40 years experience
Might slow, not stop: Starting your birth control pill may slow or shorten your period but probably will not stop it.

Last updated Mar 22, 2020