If given a bilat oopherectomy and aromatose inhibitors for breast cancer would the doctor know that these can cause osteoporosis & what should she do?

5 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. John Kayvanfar answered

Specializes in Sports Medicine

Refer to answer: Most drs know about this, however sometimes there are not too many choices. Best to minimize the side effects take 800mcg folic acid+ vit d3 1000 iu once a day. Take also whole milk cheese low salt 4 day/ week for brakfast + add no salt butter to cooking with low heath( has vit k2).

Answered 7/24/2013

5k views

Dr. Carlos Encarnacion answered

Specializes in Medical Oncology

I would hope so...: You are at risk for bone loss and need to have biannual bone density scans to monitor it. Depending on this, you may need vitamin d and calcium supplements and maybe even bisphosphonates like Boniva (ibandronate) or fosamax. I'm sure your oncologist would know.

Answered 11/28/2017

5k views

Dr. Devon Webster answered

Specializes in Medical Oncology

YOU know!: It sounds like you are aware of the risk, so tell your doctor! it is great that you are thinking about this. Yes, you are at risk for losing bone, so you need to know 1. Where you are starting (what your bone density is now) 2. Your vitamin d level, and 3. How much your bone density changes in 1-2 years. Keep up weight-bearing exercise like walking, and keep up the conversation with your doc!

Answered 12/31/2014

5k views