Very constipated and pregnant. is milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) bad for you if you take it very day? can it harm the baby in any way?

Dr. Jane Van Dis
Yes and no: Milk of magnesia isn't my first choice for constipation in pregnancy. I used it a couple of times, but excess use can cause harm to you and baby. Better is MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol) or generic equivalent in pregnancy. It's not absorbed by body and isn't as harsh as milk of magnesia can be. Make sure to drink enough water (make your pee clear colored). Milk of magnesia a couple of times won't harm you or baby t.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 30, 2014