Arlington, VA

I've been taking 25 mg zoloft (sertraline) for 2.5 weeks experiencing rash moderate itching. my dr says i can just stop taking it - i thought you are supposed to wean off? what can relieve this itching?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Zoloft (sertraline) allergy?: In cases of allergy it's probably better to stop the medicine than continue to itch. Also you've been on a very low dose for relatively short time. You'll probably be fine -- and may stop scratching too. There are other medications that may help the problem that resulted in the zoloft prescription. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) can help the itching, in meantime. Work with your doctor, and get well.
Dr. Barbara Srur
Benadryl (diphenhydramine) otc: 25 mg of zoloft is a low dose and you have not been on it for a long time. You can stop it now. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) ( over the counter, also called diphenylhydramine) 50 mg at night might help the itching. Take it at night to avoid excessive sedation. If the itching continues in the morning, you can take a 25mg tablet, up to 3 times per day. Stop the Benadryl (diphenhydramine) when your itching ceases.

Last updated Jul 23, 2016