SC
A 42-year-old male asked about a 6-year-old male:

my 6yo has had a fever 100-103 up and down for 3 days. he also has minor ear pain and now diarrhea. should i take him to the er or wait for his dr?

Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park answered
See his PCP: It seeme he has a viral infection. Have him checked by his primary care physician.
Depends on variables: I dislike the er as a collection of trauma, heart attacks and the like, where kids are often shuffled into the back and seen by someone looking for a major problem.Earaches while painful are probably better assessed by someone you know who won't just put the kid on an antibiotic he may not need to get you out the door. Ibuprofen and a heating pad to cuddle with can often get them through the night.

Last updated Jun 25, 2014