Nashville, TN

My grandpa & great grandpa had aggressive prostate cancer & i have multiple genetic markers for it. i am 31. what tests should i have done 2 b safe?

Dr. John Tillett
Urology 22 years experience
See below: Even in men with genetic risk factors for prostate cancer, it is not recommended to be screened for the disease until after age 40. A that time, you should have a psa test and rectal exam. Hopefully, by then, we may have a better screening test than the psa. It is good to have knowledge of your family medical history, as it will help your doctor look for diseases for which you are at higher risk.
Dr. Richard Sarle
Urology 22 years experience
Prostate cancer: I would get a psa test at age 40 given your family history if anybody in your family was diagnosed in there early 50s maybe age 35....But that may be overly aggressive.

Last updated Mar 16, 2017